Friday, September 25, 2015

Little Women-a book report

One of my 101 things is to read the eight class books of Louisa May Alcott’s that she is most known for.  Tonight, I finished the one that is the most famous, “Little Women.”  I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve read this wonderful story and it still does me so much good every time I read it.  I have quite the history with this story as well, as I was named after Beth.   She has been a good little literary heroine to look up to and emulate and I am grateful for this sweet character’s influence in my life.  There have been times in my life when I have felt more like Jo than Beth, and especially this time when I read about her loneliness waiting for love.  For some reason, I feel like my love story will be similar to Jo and Friedrich’s and I just have to smile when they get together at the end. 

I have heard a lot of people say, “Oh, I’ve seen the movie.” Well, if you love the movie, (I loved all three movies!) let me tell you…the book is SO much better!  Did you know that Laurie did not propose to Jo until after she had returned from New York? Did you know that there is so much more to Jo and Friedrich’s, Meg and John’s and Amy and Laurie’s love stories? Did you know there is a whole other chapter after Jo says the words “Not empty now?”  Read the book and you will find the gems of the story of the jelly that would not jell, and the disastrous dinner Jo tries to put on.  This book is such a wonderful friend and I feel like a better person every time I read it.  I don’t know how I could feel otherwise with beautiful passages like this one, where Jo and Marmee are talking “If I don't seem to need help, it is because I have a better friend, even than Father, to comfort and sustain me. My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning and may be many, but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. The more you love and trust Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength. Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidently as you come to your mother.”


I am so glad I was able to read this book again.  Now, on to “Little Men” !

No comments:

Post a Comment