Sunday, August 27, 2017

Spirituality as a Fundamental Element in Normal Life

This is part of a beautiful talk that was given by Lottie P. Baxter at a meeting for the Relief Society board and was published in the Relief Society Magazine in June 1920.  I love this speech!


It is said that "A woman without spirituality is like a flower without perfume, or like a statue without the soul." No other quality in a woman's character is so far reaching as spirituality, except the quality of virtue, and a woman must be virtuous before she can be spiritual.  A woman rises to her full stature in the home, in the community, among men and among children, among the sick, who possesses this elevating and refining power.  A spiritual life mellows the lines of the face and a person who in youth had rather severe, hard, features is often beautiful in old age through the softening power of this elevating attribute.  A keen sense of humor is a splendid accompaniment to a very spiritual temperament and gives a perfect balance and poise.  A nature lover is usually spiritual, as is seen by our own dear Sister Wells (Emmeline Wells, the General Relief Society President at the time) Her little book of poems is full of enthusiastic praise of nature and the great Creator.

When the greatest psychologist who has ever lived held that memorable class in psychology with one pupil and said "You must be born again, born of the water and of the Spirit," the student wondered and countless numbers of intelligent people have wondered, what was the real meaning of the Master.  But to the individual who has experienced a rebirth of the spirit, day by day, through a long and useful life, the real meaning is clear and they know this rebirth of the spirit must be taking place continually to lead us to the great goal.

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still waters, He restoreth my soul, He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake, Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.  Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  Thou preparest  a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.  Thou annointest my head with oil.  My cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

This confidence of the psalmist in God's grace, should be shared by every soul who has built spiritual thoughts upon spiritual thoughts until they have a foundation which cannot be shaken.  And though we "walk through the valley of the shadow of death, we fear no evil" for God is with us. In Relief Society work, it is necessary to have a well-developed spiritual presence, for our visits to the sick and where there is death, lose their benefit if they lack this soothing power of the Spirit.

My sisters, if any of you have never experienced this hope-giving, uplifting power that has come to untold numbers when trials were in their homes, do not let another day pass without getting in line to receive the blessings that are yours for the seeking.  A truly spiritual person is enthusiastic over health, education, work and play.  As we were singing yesterday, I noticed many a person singing with tears running down their faces, which bore mute evidence that they were carrying a heavy load.  Dear sisters, I hope and pray in the name of Jesus Christ, that the spirit of this conference will comfort all of you and particularly you who are heavy laden and that you will be blessed as you have never been blessed before in a conference and I ask it in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

So wonderful!!!



brightness






No comments:

Post a Comment