Thursday, September 28, 2017

I Believe in Scouting (And not because it gives me a paycheck)

            In January it will be two years since I walked into the Trapper Trails Council office for a job interview and eventually was hired as a field secretary.  At that point in my life, my knowledge of the Boy Scouts came only from my experience as a big sister to two of them.  I admit, within about an hour of my first day, I realized I was in over my head.  The amount of information I was trying to fit into my brain was overwhelming.  There was so much to learn, far more than any other job I’ve ever had.  There were times when I wanted to walk away, but before I got this job I had been praying for weeks that I would find a job that I needed and where I would be needed.  I know this job was and continues to be the answer to my prayer.  I know that I can receive help.  Even when a difficult situation happened today and I felt discouraged, a little miracle happened to remind me of something important: I believe in Scouting.

            I believe in Scouting because today, one of the scout shop employees came to my desk and told me that a little boy had approached him, knowing he worked at the scout shop, and said he had $5 he would like to donate to the Boy Scouts.  As I was putting the precious donation in an envelope to store in our safe, these words on the back of the envelope caught my eye “On my honor, I will do my best.  To do my duty to God and my country…”I believe in Scouting because when all is said and done, all the paperwork is worth helping create a young man who embodies that timeless statement. 

            I believe in Scouting because I know a gentleman in his late 80’s who carries merit badge books around with him in his briefcase and will read them while he is waiting at doctor appointments and such, because “they are the best books in the whole world”

            I believe in Scouting because I have walked into work past rooms where good men are on their knees, praying to God to guide them in helping the young men they are responsible for.  How many people get to see that as they walk into work?

            I believe in Scouting because I heard a phone conversation yesterday about a pack in our area that includes boys from Mormon, Catholic, Muslim, and Agnostic backgrounds. Scouting can be a place where diversity is celebrated and all can come together.  


            I believe in Scouting because I have a spreadsheet on my computer of boys who have earned their Eagle Scout rank and the numbers of hours spent on each Eagle project.  Today, I got a total of those hours.  As of today, for just the Cache Valley service area, the total was 21,272 hours.  Just think of that! 21, 272 hours of making the world a better place! I believe in Scouting because of the stories behind those hours, stories of young men with vision, their friends who lend a hand to help, and the leaders who stand beside them and help shape who they are becoming.  

            Finally, I believe in Scouting because of this little boy.  Jack is the newest member of the Cub Scouts in our family.  He is joining his brothers, uncles, father, grandfather and so many others in a legacy of goodness and truth that will never be forgotten.  I believe in Scouting because I believe in Jack and he is going to do wonderful things in the next ten years and beyond. 


Whenever I get a little too overwhelmed or a little too discouraged at my job, I want to look at this picture and remember what it's all about.  Yes, there is a lot of paperwork and lots to learn and sometimes it just is confusing, but I will take a deep breath and promise that "on my honor I will do my best." Because that's what we do at The Boy Scouts of America. 



No comments:

Post a Comment